Thursday, September 29, 2016

My New Kindle

Oh, hi. Yep, still here. Just off doing that thing people call "having a life." I did get my new Kindle in the expected two days so I've had it for a while. I bought this lovely cover for it.

There were a number of equally lovely choices so I had a hard time deciding which one to get. Opening and closing the cover turns the Kindle on and off, which is very cool. It also has an on/off switch in case you decide to not use a cover.

And here's the Kindle itself. This picture is a little out of focus but you can get the general idea. Too lazy to try again. This is the basic Kindle. I did consider the Paperwhite but after reading the reviews I decided I would really rather have this one.

My old Kindle was a 2nd generation; (or was it 3rd? can't remember for certain) this one is 8th generation, so quite a few changes. It has a touch screen, obviously. You just touch the edge of the screen to turn the page. It's very sensitive so sometimes I accidentally turn two pages at once but not often enough to be really annoying. I think my favorite thing about it being a touch screen is that it's so much easier to use the dictionary. You just touch a word and its dictionary entry pops up. Of course, Iron Council has a lot of obscure and archaic words that are not in the dictionary. I'm actually pretty good at figuring out the definition based on context and usually don't feel like I need a dictionary but I just happen to like dictionaries. It's sort of a cool toy.

There is more stuff I need to figure out about it, like how to highlight and save quotes for one. I just haven't taken the time to read the user's guide yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment