Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Smart Move Jack (sarcasm)

Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey seems to be preparing to "improve" Twitter by taking away what people like most about it. At the same time he flatly refuses to do anything the users request, such as adding the ability to edit tweets and, more importantly, enforce existing rules in a fair and unbiased manner.

Okay, I know... I was skeptical about the change from 140 characters to 280 and that's worked out well. This though - changing from following people to following topics - really seems like it would destroy Twitter. It's the people I'm interested in, not topics. My favorite people on Twitter each tweet about a variety of topics. I never know what might pop up in my feed - topics that wouldn't occur to me to follow.

So where will I go if Twitter dies? Follow the mass exodus wherever, hoping all my favorite people go to the same site. But I still have a small amount of hope that the massive negative feedback will change Jack's mind. I have not encountered the so-called incivility that some people seem so concerned about. You choose who you follow and you can block or mute anyone who bothers you. I think the people who complain about incivility either are idiots who haven't got the sense to block and unfollow people or they actually enjoy both the drama and complaining about it and in the latter case nothing will prevent them from indulging in said drama and complaining.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if Jack's made his money, and now he's just playing around to see how he can wreck it. Kind of like how I used to play SimCity on the computer, would get bored with it after about a half-hour, and then when the populace started requesting a stadium or something I'd just unleash Godzilla and earthquakes and floods and everything to make them shut up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (That said: Tweetdeck is marginally less annoying than Twitter, I find)

    ReplyDelete