Monday, February 5, 2018

Best Game Ever? Maybe.

I thought about not watching the Superbowl. I was almost 100 percent certain that the Patriots would win and I just didn't want to see it happen. But I knew that if a miracle happened I would be seriously disappointed if I missed it. Also, I didn't want to miss the commercials. Yes, I'm one of those people.

I mostly spent the first half dinking around on Twitter, but then gradually getting more and more interested during the second half and actually paying attention. Still, right up until the last second I expected to be disappointed; I knew that Brady had to pull it off. But he didn't! Tense, full of surprises, and the right team won. And of course Brady had to be a sore loser. (I was going to use a more crude term but changed my mind.) Seriously, I know losing is always disappointing but what the hell? The guy has won five Superbowls already. It's like he think he owns it and no one else has the right.

Anyway, best game ever? Probably not. We tend to forget other "best game[s] ever" in the excitement of the moment. The Eagles are not even one of my favorite teams but anyone who beats the Patriots is suddenly one of my favorite teams.

Oh, and about those commercials? Possibly the most lame Superbowl commercials ever. I think my favorite was the Jeep commercial with the dinosaur. Because, dinosaur! There were a few of the tug-at-the-emotions style commercials. I liked the T-Mobile(?) diversity spot. The one with the babies. Never have been wild about Bud Light's "dilly dilly" series of commercials and the attempt to make it more of a story only made me fully dislike them. Bring back the damn horses. Everybody loved those.

So, I'm glad I watched it. Now the season is over and I'm happy about that too. I do enjoy watching football (though I admit its detractors have a few good points) but what I do not like about it is the way it takes over our lives for half the year. We watch five, sometimes six, games a week. And yes, I know I don't have to watch them all and I don't always but... oh never mind. I'm not going to waste time trying to explain it. Like most things, it's complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment