Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Entertaining Nonsense

Sometimes I miss the good old days of the Internet, when you always knew immediately when you had come across a lunatic website because they all screamed at you in a variety of large fonts and bright colors. Lunatic websites are still out there though; they're just easier on the eyes. Like this one that I first saw on Twitter: Giant Prehistoric Trees.

Everyone has noticed that Devil's Tower looks like a giant tree stump but most of us, when we hear the real scientific explanation for its shape, immediately realize that it makes much more sense. This individual though, whose command of English strongly suggests that it's not his first language, just couldn't let go of the fantasy of an ancient era when there were trees many kilometers tall - the Silicon Era. He gives many more examples of mountains that he says are the stumps of ancient trees and tells us:

So there are no volcanoes, mountains and rocks they do also not exist. You can delete these terms from the lexicon. ... we are well made out that absolutely all the rocks of our planet – are the bodies of the silicon world.

I also like this bit, which he just sort of throws out there, talking about modern trees, then abandons:

If someone thinks that the forests were cut down just for timber, then I hasten to dispel your naivety. The fact is that old trees work also as information storage, database, hard disks, in modern parlance. Everything that happens on the planet, the trees do record it in its information portal. A person with good enough sensitivity can just go to a forest and easily access any information about the past, just by touching the tree trunk.

So anyway... it goes on and on, we're all naive, scientists are covering up "the truth," and so on and so forth. You know... I not only want to believe that most people are good; I also want to believe that most people are not idiots. (Of course the fact that around one third of Americans still think Donald Trump is doing a good job should be enough to dispel that belief.) So it occurs to me that web pages like this must be the Internet version of performance art, that its creator can't possibly believe such nonsense and it's put out there merely to entertain. But I don't know.

I took a quick look at the rest of the website. Just based on the article headlines you might almost think it wasn't a complete nonsense website if you hadn't read the thing about the Silicon Era trees but I don't think I'll waste any more time exploring. It would be hard to top kilometers tall trees.

4 comments:

  1. I've read enough about the various forms of Gnosticism to figure there's a strain in the human psyche that really REALLY really wants to feel like it knows more than everyone else, and that's where conspiracy theories are born. (As conspiracy theories go, this one is fairly benign and entertaining, though)

    Or it's an elaborate bit of performance art, as you said.

    Or it's an attempt to troll/hoax people like the Pacific Tree Octopus was. (The problem is, that one worked a bit TOO well, and I have heard of teachers getting reports on the Pacific Tree Octopus as if it were a real thing)

    It's also possible a lot of these things hatch out of the sort of late-night-dormitory Cheech-and-Chong extracurricular activity, that starts out with "have you really looked at your hand, maaaaan?" and gone from there. (So I guess: if recreational pot becomes legal everywhere and its use more widespread, maybe we get more of these websites?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a fan of science fiction, I have to admit it's fun to imagine a world full of trees that big.

      Delete
    2. One of my favorite books as a kid was "My Side of the Mountain" (by Jean Craighead George), which was pseudo-realistic (in the sense that it was set in current-day New York State and all) but contained the situation of the 12-year-old "runaway" finding a big old tree that was still alive, but had enough heartwood rotted out of it that he was able to live inside the hollow of the tree. The novel was mostly a Robinson Crusoe type story of how Sam managed to live off the land.

      I LOVED it as a kid, even as I began to question its realism. And I admit I still think it would be lovely to have a hollow (live) tree to live in. (Well, as long as there were no bugs up in my stuff. The bugs might be a bit of an issue, along with the no-running-water. But still: a tree house is a nice image.)

      Delete
    3. Wow. I have never read "My Side of the Mountain" but I have thought of the idea of living in a tree, not as something I would want to do but just as an interesting idea. I guess now I will have to read it.

      Delete