Wednesday, September 27, 2017

This Is Not Star Trek (and Other TV Notes)

I think I might like Star Trek: Discovery if they didn't call it Star Trek. It just doesn't look or feel like Star Trek. It's supposedly set just a few years earlier than the original series. Of course I don't expect the clunky 1960's version of the future but they could at least make it look like it belongs in the same universe. Visually, everything is too dark and too busy. And they appear to have changed the Klingons yet again. Those scenes were too dark to clearly see what they look like but it's apparent that they don't look quite like the Klingons in The Next Generation and the movies.

Possibly even more wrong than the visual appearance of the show is the... I don't know what to call it other than the feel. The feel is all wrong. Everything is so deadly serious. There's no friendly banter, no chemistry between the crew members, and so far little in the way of real personality. I have only watched the first episode so far so maybe it just needs time to develop but I don't hold out much hope that this will ever be really Star Trek

* * * * *

I have been interested in the Big Bang Theory spin-off, Young Sheldon. After one episode, I think I like it. It's a difficult thing to do, to cast younger versions of established characters but I think they did as well as can be expected. The actors are all good. The writing? We'll see. In some ways 9-year-old Sheldon seems almost more mature than adult Sheldon and the dad so far is a more sympathetic character than was hinted at in The Big Bang Theory. Jim Parsons narrates, establishing the connection between the two shows.

Speaking of The Big Bang Theory, I watched the season premiere of that. No spoilers. It's starting to feel like this show might be winding down - like this (or maybe the next) might be the last season. It has developed so far from what it started out as. I think that's a good thing, actually. The fact that the characters were allowed to grow is part of what has kept the show going for so many years. I like the The Big Bang Theory a lot; I don't want it to end but everything has to end sometime and I think it would be appropriate to end with all four of the guys happily married and that seems to be the direction the show is going. There's no one for Raj yet but the writers could make it happen and I really hope they do eventually. It would be too sad if he got left out.

I haven't seen very many new shows and season premieres yet. The season is just getting started. I've watched the season premiere of Scorpion. The less said about this show the better. A nice set of characters with some really really bad writing. Gotham is back and is still one of my favorite shows.

In the non-fiction department, this past summer I got hooked on Full Frontal With Samantha Bee, a half hour political stand up comedy show. If you like Donald Trump and Fox News don't watch it; you'll hate it.

I have seen some promos for several new shows that I might be interested in. I'll probably do another TV post in a few weeks when/if I've had a chance to see some of these. I have a somewhat limited amount of time to watch TV series though so I don't know how many new shows I'll be able to get into.

No comments:

Post a Comment